Nov 13, 2013 7:12 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI - The City eased up on water restrictions but the city council appears split on whether it may be too soon.
Council earlier this year passed a new, more aggressive water conservation plan. It basically asks residents to start cutting back on water...while our reservoirs are almost half full. After all, residential use accounts for about sixty percent of the city's annual water consumption.
City councilman Mark Scott told reporter Rick Spruill (@KRIS6_Rick) he believes the decision to ease restrictions on residential use won't hurt the reservoirs when things dry out again.
"In a nutshell, if we stay in the same conditions we have been in we would not get back down to that 31 percent reservoir capacity until March, April, 2015."
The year 2015 is significant - it's when phase two of the Mary Rhodes Pipeline - which is the third leg of the city's water supply, is set to come online.
Meanwhile, council woman Lillian Riojas said the current plan, while a good start, does not go far enough.
"Conservation,I think while it is a factor built it into stage one (restrictions), I think that we as a community need to get even more aggressive," she said.
Riojas is on the Mayors Blue Ribbon Committee on Water issues and said she's asking city hall to try and follow the lead of other, water-conscious cities like San Antonio, where residents are asked to conserve water, year-round.