Posted: May 4, 2011 1:09 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Updated: May 4, 2011 1:09 AM
Mother’s Day breakfasts and graduation brunches call for coffee cake, so make yours as nutrient-rich as possible. Blueberries and Meyer lemon juice and zest star in this coffee cake, which is made with whole-grain oats and whole-wheat flour. The Meyer lemon is a citrus fruit native to China, and it has a thin skin, golden-yellow color and pleasing fragrance. It’s also sweeter than regular lemons and thought to taste like a cross between a lemon and an orange. White whole-wheat flour is 100 percent whole grain -- with a lighter color.
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons, finely grated
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and well-drained
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour a 9-inch square cake pan.
2. For the streusel: Whisk brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl. Lightly stir in Meyer lemon zest. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingers until entire mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
4. For the batter: Whisk flours, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk canola oil, eggs, vanilla, Meyer lemon juice and buttermilk together until thoroughly blended. With a fork or spoon, stir liquid mixture into dry flour mixture, mixing only until blended. Lightly fold in blueberries.
5. Pour batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter.
6. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or only until knife or tester comes out clean when inserted in center.
7. Let it cool just slightly, then slice and serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition information (per serving)
5 g protein
50 g carbohydrates
10 g fat (3.5 g saturated)
48 mg cholesterol
163 mg sodium
155 mg potassium
49 mg calcium
1.7 mg iron
212 IU vitamin A
6 mg vitamin C
3.5 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Send us your feedback. We want to hear from you!
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more