Posted: Apr 14, 2011 1:07 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Updated: Apr 14, 2011 1:07 AM
Pancakes for a crowd couldn’t be easier to make when they’re baked in one big pan! Pour this fiber- and nutrient-rich batter -- filled with whole grains, banana and macadamia nuts -- in a rimmed sheet pan and then oven-bake. Whole-wheat flour, oats and flaxseed provide 100 percent whole-grain goodness, while bananas add potassium and natural compounds that can aid in weight loss. All of the spices provide disease-fighting antioxidants, and macadamias and coconut milk add a fun tropical flair. Find canned light coconut milk in your grocery’s Asian foods section.
Makes one large pancake, cut into 18 pieces (serves roughly 6 to 10 people)
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/2 cup 1-percent low-fat milk
1 cup light coconut milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
2 cups chopped banana (slices cut in half)
Toasted coconut, chopped macadamia nuts, sliced bananas and maple syrup for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Coat a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder and all spices.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together milk, coconut milk, eggs, canola oil and orange juice.
4. Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients, mixing just until all ingredients are moistened.
5. Lightly stir in bananas and nuts, taking care not to over-mix.
6. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean.
8. Cut into 18 squares and serve immediately, garnishing with maple syrup, chopped macadamias and banana slices if desired.
Nutrition information (per piece, without garnishes)
5 g protein
26 g carbohydrates
10 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
35 mg cholesterol
74 mg sodium
220 mg potassium
47 mg calcium
1.4 mg iron
70 IU vitamin A
3 mg vitamin C
3.5 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more