Posted: Aug 13, 2011 1:11 AM by From the Editors of Live Right Live Well
Updated: Aug 13, 2011 1:11 AM
Edamame, also known as green sweet soybeans, lends an Asian flair to traditional four-bean salad, made with in-season fresh green beans and canned garbanzo and kidney beans. All four beans are tossed with red onion and an Asian-flavored sweet-and-sour dressing made with rice wine vinegar, a little Chinese hot mustard and heart-healthy canola oil. This vibrantly colored and nutrient-rich salad is perfect for picnics, potlucks and tailgating. Look for jars of Chinese hot mustard in the Asian or ethnic foods aisle.
Makes about 12 servings (3/4 cup each)
3 1/2 cups fresh green beans (cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces)
2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed (or fresh, ready-to-eat edamame)
1 15- to 16-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15- to 16-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup chopped red onion
2/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon Chinese hot mustard
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a covered glass dish, microwave cut green beans on high until crisp-tender (roughly 2 to 3 minutes).
2. Microwave edamame in a separate glass dish for about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine green beans, edamame, kidney beans, garbanzo beans and red onions. Toss lightly.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, canola oil, Chinese mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended.
5. Pour dressing over bean-onion mixture and stir lightly to coat all ingredients.
6. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate in tightly covered container. Always stir lightly before serving.
Nutrition information (per serving)
7 g protein
25 g carbohydrates
7.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
250 mg sodium
317 mg potassium
44 mg calcium
1.8 mg iron
228 IU vitamin A
8 mg vitamin C
5 g fiber
Copyright (c) 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more