Posted: Dec 24, 2012 2:51 PM by Associated Press
Updated: Dec 24, 2012 3:11 PM
McKINNEY, Texas (AP) - Six children in Texas have been injured by an explosion that happened after gas was poured from a can onto an open fire pit.
Four children have been airlifted to an area hospital after the Monday afternoon explosion in McKinney, north of Dallas. McKinney fire department spokeswoman Stacie Durham says the six children are believed to have been left unsupervised in the backyard, where a fire was burning. Adults were inside the home.
Durham says at least one of the children sprinkled gasoline from a can onto the fire and left the can near the pit. She says fumes from the can ignited.
All six children were near the can when it exploded.
The children range from ages 4 to 11.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Do you have a tip, information about a breaking news story, or a story idea for 6 Investigates? Contact the KRIS 6 News Desk at 361-884-6666 or send us an email.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
| Desktop Weather
Current forecast, hurricane info, and much more!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Website
Get KRISTV.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KRISTV.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|6 News Team
Read about your favorite KRIS-TV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more