Posted 11:11 AM 1/19/2012
From Star Orthodontics
Why should you floss your teeth every day?
Brushing alone only cleans 65% of the surfaces where harmful bacteria grows. The other 35% can only be cleaned by flossing!
1. Avoid cavities - bacteria in your mouth consumes the left over food (More)
Posted 11:07 AM 1/19/2012
From Star Orthodontics
Called "wisdom teeth" because they emerge later in life, the upper and lower third molars generally cause problems because there is not enough room in the mouth for them to erupt, or break through the gum, into a normal position. As a result, these molars (More)
Posted 4:23 PM 11/10/2011
From South Texas Comprehensive Cancer Centers
By Lalitha M. Janaki, M.D.
CORPUS CHRISTI - I was asked repeatedly within the last two months about where I have been and what I do these days. My answer has been, "I'm on my third Political Rotation." As you know, when in (More)
Posted 10:03 PM 2/6/2013
Posted 8:24 PM 2/5/2013
Posted 6:12 PM 2/5/2013
Feb. 5, 2012 -- Today's baby boomers may live longer than their parents, but they are less healthy overall, a new study finds.
"U.S. baby boomers have higher rates of chronic disease, more disability, and lower self-rated health than members of the previous generation at the same age," write the authors of the study, published in JAMA Internal Medicine.
Posted 5:13 PM 2/5/2013
Feb. 5, 2013 -- Healthy young men who watch TV for more than 20 hours a week have almost half the sperm count of men who watch very little television. But men who do 15 or more hours of moderate to vigorous exercise every week have sperm counts that are 73% higher than those who exercise for less than five hours a week, according to a new study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
Posted 8:52 PM 2/4/2013
Feb. 4, 2013 -- Today, on World Cancer Day, the organization behind this annual event is aiming to dispel several myths about cancer.
The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) is trying to counteract the myths that cancer is a death sentence and a disease of the wealthy, the elderly, and developed countries.
Posted 10:21 PM 2/1/2013
Feb. 1, 2013 -- Not all cancer screening tests are helpful, and some are potentially harmful, according to a new Consumer Reports rating.
In the new report, Consumer Reports recommends only three of 11 common cancer screening tests, and then only for certain age groups.
Posted 6:13 PM 2/1/2013
Posted 4:24 PM 1/31/2013
Jan. 31, 2013 -- The risk of hospitalization or death from heart disease is almost a third lower in vegetarians than in people who eat meat and fish, according to a new study.
Posted 9:15 PM 1/30/2013
Jan. 30, 2013 -- PepsiCo recently announced it would remove brominated vegetable oil (BVO) from its Gatorade drinks in response to customer concerns.
Just what is BVO? And what is it doing in your sports drink?
To learn more, we reached out to food chemists Kantha Shelke, PhD, a Chicago scientist who consults with food companies to develop new products, and Walter Vetter, PhD, who is studying BVO at the University of Hohenheim in (More)
• Comments (0)
Posted 8:06 PM 1/29/2013